Wednesday, October 1, 2008

It's been 10 years and Happy Birthday!

First I want to say, Happy Birthday to my wonderful husband. I hope your day is filled with fun (sorry you have to work) and happy memories. The girls and I love you very much and thank you for all that you do for our family.

Now, Ten years ago today my husband asked me to be his wife. He totally took me by surprise. Let me paint the picture for you.

October 1, 1998 I had to work all day (after class-I was still in college) I had planned on taking the (now) hubby out to eat for a nice dinner to celebrate his birthday. I told him to meet me at my apartment at 7:30. He shows up and begins telling me that his brother had called and needed us to bring him some food to the football stadium because he was going to be working real late and couldn't leave. As a side note, his brother worked for the athletic department at Oklahoma State University. I wasn't real happy about this because we had dinner plans at 8:00 but I didn't say anything and went along with it. We went through McDonald's and got his brother and another co-worker some food. As we approached Lewis Field(aka Boone Pickens Stadium these days) he tells me we need to go ONTO the field and that his brother would be watching for us and come get his food. What? This is the craziest thing I've heard. Can't we just call him and tell him we are here? So as we start walking out onto this DARK, HUGE football field (Here's a picture of what it looks like during the day

This is the best picture I could find because the stadium has totally been redone and looks nothing like the old field but you get my drift) On with my story.
I see something sitting in the middle of the field, right on the 50 yard line. As we get a little closer I notice it is a table and there is a sign on it that says "Reserved for (insert hubby's name here). What in the heck is going on? As I turn to hubby he his down on one knee with a small box with a beautiful ring inside and proceeds to tell me how this is the place we had met one year ago.
Short story how we met. Hubby was an accounting major along with one of my best friends from childhood. She decided to set us up kinda like a blind date (although I had seen him one time before when I went with her to his fraternity house to get some notes from a class they had together. However, I don't guess I paid too much attention at the time). Hubby was was of the finalist for Homecoming King at Oklahoma State University. During the halftime at the game after the ceremony, he came up into the stands (it was pouring rain) and we met. I introduced myself to him. The rest was history.
Back to engagement night. He continues telling me how much he loves me, how he wants to spend the rest of his life with me, Will I be his wife? I was so shocked and in tears by this point I grabbed the ring and said yes. I was ready to leave and go call EVERYONE. He wanted to eat the McDonald's he bought for his "brother". I was too excited to eat so I sat and watched him eat. We finally left and went back to my apt. to tell my roommates and began calling EVERYONE. Here we are the night we were engaged.





In the past 10 years so much has changed. We have moved away from our families and friends in Oklahoma (Very SAD), made wonderful friends in Texas (very happy), had TWO BEAUTIFUL daughters (best things to happen in our lives), gained a little (ok, a lot of weight), had numerous fun vacations, and grown even more in love. I thank God for all the things he has given in my life.

Happy Birthday Hubby!!!

1 comments:

Jennifer Owens said...

Hope the birthday celebrations were fun! Thanks for sharing your engagement story too - what a sweet night. One I'm sure neither of you will ever forget!