Sunday, September 7, 2008

The call we all hate to get....

Unfortunately, we received the one call that no one wants to receive this morning while getting ready for church, that someone we love had passed away. Brad's mom called to tell us that Brad's grandfather had passed away last night. Granddad (as we called him) lived a very long, 94 years, and very full life. He was an amazing man. I could tell this from the first time that I met him over 11 years ago. I can still remember that first meeting. Brad had taken me to meet his grandparents one Saturday afternoon not long after we first began dating. We walked into their place and I was immediately welcomed with a hug and a chair. A chair? Yes, these two people LOVED to play games and they were darn good at them. I believe we had been there for all of 10 minutes before granddad broke out the homemade (very impressive) sequence board for us to play. We played sequence for at least 2 hours that day. It was one of the best times. I got to hear all kinds of stories about Brad growing up, his mothers childhood, and much about their careers as younger adults. Granddad and Mema would love it anytime one of the grandchildren would come and have dinner with them or play games. We tried to do this often (probably not often enough) Granddad was also a man that LOVED God and it showed. He was a wonderful example to his 5 grandsons and 1 granddaughter. You could tell when we would all get together how much he loved his own children (2 daughters), his 6 grandchildren, and even more his 6 great grandchildren. Granddad suffered a massive stroke in late February of 2003.
I was due with Madeline in less than a month and I remember how I prayed that he would pull through so that Madeline could meet him and know what an amazing grandfather he was. With many prayers, lots of physical and speech therapy he made amazing progress and regained a lot of his speech and strength and motion that he lost from the stroke. Both of my grandfathers had passed before I had children so he was the only great grandfather my kids knew. He would light up each time he saw them. When Madeline was just a little baby he would always want to hold her and play with her even though he didn't have full motion or strength yet. We would hand him to her and "assist" him in holding her.
As time goes on granddad became weaker and more frail and relied on a wheelchair to get him around but that never stopped him from having a smile or a positive attitude. He was always happy. We are going to miss him even more than you know but rest in the peace and comfort that knowing he is walking the streets with Jesus and all those that went before him. He is no longer in that frail body but in a body full of strength and energy. Praise God for that. Please keep the family in your prayers as they prepare for the final goodbyes, for safe travels of us all as we travel to Oklahoma to say goodbye and be with each other as a family. Please keep Mema (his wife) in your prayers. She suffers from Alzheimer's and really doesn't know what is going on. Help Brad's mom and aunt as they not only deal with the arrangements to be made for granddad but to have the patience and understanding for Mema.

I will leave with some pictures of this AMAZING man I am talking about...We love you Granddad and will miss you....



Christmas 2007...minus Brad's uncle and 1 cousin.

Brad's mom(left) and her sister.

Granddad and Mema with all the great-grandchildren.

Granddad and Mema with the grandchildren (minus Scott, Brad's cousin)

Our family with Grandad and Mema.

Granddad and Macy. She was 1 month old.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

I am sorry for your loss. Big Hugs from me to you. I will keep you in my prayers..be safe!!

amy (metz) walker said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss! I am really impressed at the incredible (& rare) Godly legacy that he left behind...he sounded like an incredible man!

Our family said...

I am so sorry for your families loss. It is hard losing the ones we love, but knowing that we will see them once again will give us comfort. I will pray for you all and continue to pray for your the patience your family will need to deal with Mema and her future. From experience with dan's grandparents...it makes the altimerizers worse. :-( And so sad when they forget they are gone.
Sending you big hugs and lots of prayers...keep all those memories close and you all will find peace!

Jaime said...

I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with your family. I enjoyed the pictures and reading about your memories of him, those will live on forever.