Monday, January 12, 2009

A crash and a visit to the ER!!

Last night as I am about to leave for church my mom calls to tell me that she is in the ER with my dad. My heart flip flops, the blood all rushes to my head, and I get a sick feeling in my stomach. My first thought is that he has had a stroke or heart attack because of the high blood pressure issues he's been having. Apparently, he was in an accident. A 4 wheeler accident. We all know that my dad just turned 60 in November. However, he still rides his 4 wheeler like he's 20. I know, cool dad and he is VERY cool....BUT....look what happens. Thank GOD he had his helmet on or who knows what would have happened to him. He was riding down a hill (I'm sure at a very high rate of speed, knowing him) and hit a stump that was sticking up out of the ground when the 4 wheeler threw him off the front and then it rolled over the top of him. He ended up breaking his collar bone in THREE places and getting a severe subdural hematoma on his hip. They thought originally that the muscle may have been torn away from his hip. Thank God it wasn't. I'm sure there are a few more bruises/scrapes/scratches. He was in quite a bit of pain my mom said. They are going to meet with the Orthopedic Doctor today to see if his collar bone will need surgery. Please be in prayer for him and my mom. Him for the pain and my mom for him being a pain...HA!! I love you dad and wish I could be there to give you a hug. Your girlie's send their love too. *UPDATE* Mom just called and they are back from the doctor and he said he has shattered the collar bone and has referred them to a trauma orthopedic surgeon. They have an appt. in the morning.
We have 4 days AND COUNTING until we are DONE with Phase 1 of the South Beach diet. We are both still doing well on it. I have lost 8 pounds and Hubs has lost 12 (that was yesterday's weight) I'm sure there was more today. YAY!! We are looking forward to Phase 2 and getting to add a starch and some fruit. We can't wait!!!
Many are still asking also about my dad's tests from last Monday. We still haven't heard anything. My mom was not a happy camper. When she called the Dr. office on Friday the nurse said it could be another week until they hear anything. My mom asked what she was supposed to do in the meantime about the extreme high blood pressure. The nurse asked what his blood pressure was and mom told her. The nurse proceeded to say, "He needs to go to the ER"....DUH!! Why do you think we have been running all these tests, genius. Sorry, but Dr. offices drive me crazy sometimes. Hopefully we'll hear something this week. Be in prayer still.
I have another prayer request. My friend, Jami, found out over the weekend that her mother has a VERY rare, incurable plasma blood cancer. They will find out more on Tues. when she sees the Oncologist. This will be a very hard battle to fight for this family but with others praying and God in control it will make it easier.
Let's see what else....Oh, we got to have a date night Saturday night. We had a yummy dinner (low carb, high protein) and then went to the movie and saw Marley and Me. I loved it. Of course, I cried and cried. Not a good movie to see when you have just lost your dog yourself. It was so good though. It was nice to get out and have a date with my hubby. I hear the weather is supposed to get REALLY cold the end of the week.....YUCK!!
Still no niece....She's hanging tight for now. Jaime goes to the Dr. this morning so hopefully we will get some new news. I really want her to come this week so we can go this weekend and see her.

Have a great week.

0 comments: