Sunday, August 24, 2008

First Day of Kindergarten....

We made it through dinner, our baths, two stories, our prayers, and to sleep by 8:30 last night....AMAZING!!!
I have to share with you first just how precious Madeline is before I tell you about her day. Last night as we were saying our prayers before bed this is the prayer she prayed.


Dear God,
Thank you for this day. Thank you for all the wonderful things you give us. I am a little nervous about kindergarten tomorrow but I am a big girl now and I know I have to do it. Please help me to be brave and not scared. I know I will have a good day tomorrow in my new kindergarten class. Be with mommy so she won't be sad to leave me tomorrow. Ok, thank you God. It's in your name I pray...AMEN!



Doesn't that just melt your heart? Now about her day....


She woke up in a great mood and asked if she needed to go get dressed. "Not yet, we still have 3 hours until Kindergarten starts." She ate breakfast, tried on the backpack, made sure she had everything ready to go, and sat Macy down to explain that "Sissy, will be going to school in a little bit but I will be back later today." "Be good for mommy while I'm gone." Thanks for telling her that Madeline. The morning flew and before I knew it, it was time to eat lunch and get dressed for SCHOOL. Wish me luck!! We got Madeline all beautiful and went out front to take the "First day of school" pictures....



Doesn't she look so old today?



Good Luck hugs from Macy.



The sun was in her eyes...


So we load up and head towards the school. The entire way Madeline is practicing her phone number, address, how to spell her first and last name, and all her colors. Just in case Mrs. Logsdon asks her ALL these things on the FIRST day of school. She always wants to be prepared. She put on her brave face and walked proud.



The big walk up to the school...Someone was a little nervous.



Madeline and her friend Paige.








Waiting nervously for the teacher to come get them to take them to their class.


All the kids get dropped off and then they are supposed to walk into the school and go into the gym and wait in their line for their teacher. The teacher comes and gets them and takes them to the classroom. They did a "practice run" today so the kids would know what to do tomorrow.




Here is Mrs. Logsdon giving all the kids a high five and welcoming them their first day.



Heading towards the classroom.



Madeline helping Paige find her cubby...



Sitting at her desk getting ready to start doing her first day "work."




Mrs. Logsdon and Madeline.


Finally here is me with my "big girl".....


When I went to pick her up she said she had a great time and even did three papers today. She is already in love with Mrs. Logsdon and can't wait to go back tomorrow. She said today they learned the rules and the funniest rule was, No jumping off your chair to say I'm Done!! HA!! Too funny. I think this is going to be a great year.

Now many of your are wondering did I cry? No, not in front of Madeline. I got a little teary eyed at one point but I didn't want to upset her. She was so brave.
I'm so proud of her. After the kids got settled they had a room set up for all the parents that had refreshments, KLEENEX, and this little poem that they handed out. I didn't cry until I read it when I got home. It says:

We gave you a little wink and smile
As you entered our school today.
For we know how hard it is to leave
And know your child must stay.
You've been with her for five years now
And have been a loving guide,
But alas, the time has come
To leave her at the teacher;s side.
Just know that as you drive away
And tears down your cheeks may flow
We'll love her as we would our own
And help her learn and grow.



So that is the story for Madeline's first day at Kindergarten. I had a little surprise for her in her seat when I picked her up. (high school musical shirt and little guitar) I think that made her day even that much better. Let's pray that tomorrow goes just the same.

I SURVIVED!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell Madeline we are proud of her. Wonderful pictures!

Love, Jaime

Anonymous said...

I can't believe my baby girl is big enough for kindergarten! I am so proud of you Madeline! You will have so much fun this year! I can't wait to hear all about everything you are learning! We love you so much!

Aunt Mich

Our family said...

I loved that poem..we got nothing but a spill on PTA and donuts for our tears and cheers session. I was dissappointed. Would love the poem. She looks like she had a great day. Congrats on making it through this big milestone! :-)

amy (metz) walker said...

What a sweet poem and, seriously, you and Madeline look JUST alike! I found your blog from a comment you left on another so I hope its alright I stopped by!

God bless!