Monday, December 1, 2008

The stockings were hung....

I tackled the Christmas decorating today. I dread doing it because of the mess but LOVE it once it's all up. It makes the house feel so cozy and happy. However, I don't know what I was thinking by getting it all today when Macy was home. I spent more time taking the breakables out of her hands and putting them back away. She loved all the decorations and when the tree was finished she just stood there looking at it saying, "It's so beautiful."
I got the tree up and the mantel done dressed with stockings. However, Madeline was upset when she got home from school and Buford's stocking was not hung up, so I told her we'd go pick out another stocking hanger and hang his up. Madeline really hasn't showed much emotion about Buford being gone. She cried for just a minute or so when we first told her but about 5 minutes after that asked if she could get a rabbit. I told her that wasn't a good idea since Riley is breed to CHASE RABBITS. HA!
Today while I was going through all the tubs of decorations she came across Buford's stocking and said she was very sad that he wasn't here. I told her it was ok to be sad and that I missed him too. I told her it would take time for us to get over missing him, that he was a big part of our family. She then broke down and cried, crawled into my lap, and we sat there and cried together. I have to admit, it was a little sad today as I was putting up the tree that I didn't have him laying right underneath where I needed to be.
We bought an ornament that we will put on our tree every year in rememberance of him. Madeline had the honor of placing it anywhere on the tree. She picked front and center. It will always be special to us.



So enough of the sad, because I can't keep going there it isn't healthy..HA!

I'll have lots of pictures from Thanksgiving and all our outings in my next post. So stay tuned....

2 comments:

Laura Ann said...

Oh Danielle ~ I am so sorry about your dog. We went through that around our house about 6 months ago with my 14 year old Lhasa Apso that also lived with me in college. Thank God Emma was to little to understand or her heart would have been broken. It is so hard and so sad, they become your family especially after that many years. Please know that I will be praying for you guys, your girls and your other dog. Believe it or not, your other dog will go through a period of grief too.

Hopefully all those Christmas decorations will bring some cheer your way.

Jaime said...

That is a beautiful ornament and I know it will always be special to you guys. By the way I really like your new background looks great.