Sunday, April 25, 2010

MRI update!!

We went on Wednesday for Madeline's MRI appointment at 1:30. We got there around 1:15 to check in and we were informed that the morning surgeries were running late so could we come back at 4:30. We agreed!! Poor Madeline, she was already so nervous and worked up and was prepared to get it over with. She was very nervous not knowing what to expect of the MRI. We left, went to the toy store for her to pick out a toy to help calm her nerves.
At 4:30, we returned back ready to get it over with. Madeline was still so nervous. However, the tech was fabulous. She apologized repeatedly about us having to be pushed back. She also was sad to report to us that the headphones that you wear during the MRI (to hear the radio) had broken earlier in the day so there would be no music for Madeline to listen to. She was a little concerned about Madeline's age and how this would affect her. If you've ever had a MRI, you know how LOUD that machine is.
We prepared Madeline, explained how everything worked, and got her ready to lay down on the bed. She was scared. I could see it in her eyes. She started to cry a little and we explained it would be ok.
Next, the tech pushed her into the machine. This was a closed MRI (the tunnel kind). Madeline began to FREAK out. She was crying begging me to get her out of the machine. She kept telling me, "Please, get me out, just for a minute." The tech and I both talked to her and got her calmed down, wiped away the tears and we were ready to take picture #1. She warned Madeline about the loud tapping and buzzing noise that machine was about to make.
Picture one started and as soon as it finished Madeline began screaming, "Get me out of here, I want out of here, I'm too scared, It's too loud." She was trying to sit up and climb out the machine herself. I decided at that moment that this was never going to happen. I didn't want it to traumatize her so I told the tech that we were going to have to sedate her and try again.
Poor baby girl. We are going to try again on Tuesday under sedation. Please keep praying that she'll be ok and that the test will show us what we need to see or NOT see. I'll keep you posted.

0 comments: