Thursday, April 15, 2010

Headaches...GO AWAY!!

For the past 9 months or so, poor Madeline (my oldest) has been battling some horrible headaches. There has been several occasions where they have woken her from her sleep and made her so sick to her stomach that she has thrown up. They started at the end of last summer and have progressively gotten more frequent and more intense.

At the end of the summer when they first began happening I took her to the dr. to have her checked out. At the time, the dr. thought that maybe since it was the hot part of the summer that a lot of it could be attributed to the lack of fluids and the heat. We loaded her up at the time with lots of fluids and it seemed to help some, no headaches for a few months. They then started coming back almost weekly, however, not always real intense. They were just bad enough that she'd want to just go lay low.
Last Thursday, she went to bed at 8:00 and by 10:00 just awoke complaining that her head hurt real bad and her stomach hurt. I got her some medicine and back to bed. It wasn't 10 minutes later before she threw up. I called the dr. the next morning and made an appointment. We went in and the doctor checked her over. She asked us lots of questions, got more family background, and did some different motor skills testing on Madeline. Everything checked out to be normal. However, there were several things that she wanted to test out more extensively. She ordered for Madeline to have a MRI done of her brain to rule out a brain tumor. She doesn't think that is the cause but wants to be sure. Of course, when a mother hears that I got REAL uncomfortable. I know that the Lord is in control and will see us through whatever the outcome of the test shows. Another avenue we are trying is going to a pediatric opthamologist to make sure that its not her eyes causing the headaches. I have TERRIBLE eyesight so she could have inherited that lovely "flaw" from me. Lastly, she is going to see a neurologist but not until JUNE (this was their first open appt.). CRAZY, I know!! She is going to see him because the dr. HIGHLY thinks she is having migraines which are NO FUN. My husband and I both get them and I can't imagine my 7 year old having to deal with them.
So hopefully within the next few weeks we will get some answers and begin to be able to treat the symptoms better. PLEASE, be in prayer for all the test, results, doctors wisdom, and for us as we deal with whatever we find out. Pray for Madeline as she is nervous about seeing all the different doctors and the unknown of what each of these tests are. I'll update as soon as we find out anything.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry for your daughter's headaches. I have two things to offer. Have you ever had your house checked for radon emissions? The second thing is I'm a physical therapist who specializes in helping people with chronic pain. Although I don't normally work with children, I've written a book about neck pain and headaches which may help if there are no other answers. I wish you the best. I have two small children of my own and understand your anguish.
Best,
Rick Olderman

lots_of_love_four_kids said...

HI Danielle,
I am glad that you are back in the blogging world and am SO sorry to hear about these headaches for your sweet girl. I am still dealing with my chronic headache, and I can only imagine what it is like for her at her age. I will be keeping her in my prayers as you all try and get this figured out! take care- and keep us posted!