Thursday, April 30, 2009

I'm so proud of her.

Who you ask?





My girl Macy.





Why you ask?





First let me give you a little background so you will completely understand my pride. When Macy turned one she was not much for "table food" she still preferred her baby food. We slowly over the next few months tried to introduce her to more and more "table foods" and move away from the baby food. She did ok but still preferred the baby food. Once she started at the MDO (Mother's Day Out) they wanted her on solid table food. I sent her with finger foods I knew she would like and eat. However, she still wasn't a big fan of solid foods and now didn't want the baby food either. Now I was stuck with a picky eater who wasn't sure what she liked. During this time, she was struggling with weight gain. Although she was eating picky she wasn't gaining. We did a number of tests on her to see if we could pinpoint a potential problem. All tests came back negative or showed no sign of concern. We chalked it up as, She would just be my petite one. My pediatrician also put her on Pediasure two times per day. Thankfully, she LOVES it. It's her drink of choice. She'll pick it over juice anytime.

Just to give you a sample of what her meals normally consist of I'll give you a list of the foods she WILL eat.

* Chicken nuggets

* Mac n Cheese (most of the time)

* Spaghetti O's (most of the time)

* Cheese (she could live on cheese)

* Pancakes (most of the time)


That's about it for meals...She is a HUGE snacker. Although I try to limit her snacks so she will eat more at meal times. She eats a lot of fruits but eats NO vegetables. She also eats NO meats.



Now, I know you may think that that is a lot of different choices but when you think about 3 meals a day, 7 times a week, the pickings are VERY SLIM.



So, why am I proud?



In the past week, she has eaten taco meat and hot dogs. I know, not the healthiest choices but it's something different. I was happy that she would even try something new. I know that if she would try new things she'd find that she likes more than she thinks. Slowly, we are introducing new things and PRAYING she likes them. Meal times with her are always SO STRESSFUL. I know she will eat when she is hungry but it's so frustrating that she doesn't want to eat. Madeline was NEVER like that. She was and still is a FANTASTIC eater. Madeline eats things that I won't even eat.



Any of you have picky children? What do you do to get them to try new things or just to eat? I'm open to ANY and ALL ideas.



For now, I'm proud of her.



YAY FOR MACY GIRL!!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

She ate so good last weekend! More than I have ever seen her eat! I was so impressed! So proud of you Macy girl! We love you!

Aunt Mich